Philadelphia-Whitemarsh Blanks Exiles For Third Straight Win

Third Straight Win

PHILADELPHIA – Philadelphia-Whitemarsh’s home fans were treated to a 63-point shutout victory over the Maryland Exiles Saturday as the red-and-blue posted its third straight win and remained undefeated on the season.

Match Date 10/9/04

Philadelphia-Whitemarsh again displayed a balanced attack, with its forwards tallying five tries and the backs putting in six on the day.

Nineteen-year-old prop Andrew Fusco drew first blood in the third minute of play. With Philadelphia-Whitemarsh pounding hard into Exiles territory, Fusco took a tight ball off a ruck and plunged in from three meters out.

Four minutes later, the Philadelphia-Whitemarsh pack stole a scrum and captain John Grace placed a kick deep into Exiles territory. Winger Wayne DiMarco chased it down and then fed Grace for a spectacular try.

DiMarco made a big break two minutes later, feeding Grace again, who then dished to scrumhalf Kris Johnson for the score. Flanker Andrey Biryukov nailed his first convertion of the day to put Philadelphia-Whitemarsh ahead 17-0.

Maryland kept the home side at bay for the next 15 minutes, until veteran Philadelphia-Whitemarsh flyhalf Stephen Siano put fullback Louis Tulio into space, sending him on a 50-meter dash for a try. Biryukov’s convertion made it 24-0 Philadelphia-Whitemarsh.

Inside center Jeff Shipe set up the next Philadelphia-Whitemarsh try with a feed to bruising No. 8 Conway Maraki off a penalty tap.

Purchase 2014 Hall of Fame Tickets Now »

Shipe’s backline mates accounted for the next try, with DiMarco fielding a long kick and offloading to Tulio, who spun the ball wide to dangerous winger Marcus Respes. Respes ran around one defender and through another to dot-down a 60-meter try, giving his side a 34-0 advantage in the 37th minute.

Maraki’s penetrating run off the ensuing kickoff put Philadelphia-Whitemarsh deep into Exiles territory, where the visitors knocked a ball forward. It was picked up by Johnson who took it forward and fed DiMarco for a burst up the sideline and the final try of the half.

The second half saw more of the same, with outside center Gavin McKay pulling away for a 40-meter try in the 48th minute and Grace plunging in again three minutes later after several bruising phase runs by Maraki, Johnson and lock Fred Koniecki.

Philadelphia-Whitemarsh’s Eagle hooker Matt Wyatt and former Eagle-pool lock Matt Winters led a defensive charge that kept Maryland on its heels most of the match, helping secure a second straight shutout.

Meanwhile, a stolen ball became another try for Philadelphia-Whitemarsh in the 70th minute as Johnson fed DiMarco for a 35-meter burst and former club captain Andy Newcombe punctuated his return to action with a three-meter surge for a try in the final minute.

Philadelphia-Whitemarsh next travels to Charlotte in a battle of Mid-Atlantic unbeatens.

P-W Scoring

11 tries: Fusco, Grace (2), DiMarco (2), Johnson, Tulio, Maraki, Respes, McKay, Newcombe ; 4 conversions: Biryukov (2), Shipe (2)

Philadelphia-Whitemarsh Roster

1. Andrew Fusco
2. John Grace
3. George Sucher
4. Fred Koniecki
5. Matt Winters
6. Andrey Biryukov
7. Matt Wyatt
8. Conway Maraki
9. Kris Johnson
10. Stephen Siano
11. Marcus Respes
12. Jeff Shipe
13. Gavin McKay
14. Wayne DiMarco
15. Louis Tulio

Reserves: Andy Newcombe (for Biryukov, half); Nate Stegall (for Winters, 55th min.; Mike Badger (for Wyatt, 60th min.); Lavin (for Sucher 65th min.); Logue (for Respes 65th minute)

Location: Memorial Hall Field

Additional PWRFC Photos »

Attend the 2014 PWRFC Hall of Fame Banquet »